Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Family Home Evening

Family Home Evening is pretty much amazing in Spain. Monday night we had pseudo-FHE at the Jardín Botánico next to the Prado. It's so pretty! Not as cool as the jardines in the south, but it does a good job. After that I ended up going to a seminar given by a contemporary Spanish video artist. How ridiculous is that?!? I was in the Reina Sofia, watching some sweet video art with the artist RIGHT THERE. That's cool anywhere, let alone in the Reina Sofia. I did a loooot of research about video art this past semester for my internship with the Museum of Art on campus, so I was even more nerdily excited when I found out he was a video artist.

Real FHE consisted of a visit to the Prado (my fourth) with our maestra Rebeca. It was interesting to hear more about the significance of Renaissance art, but I was SO tired...I don't remember much. After the Prado we went to Retiro Park to row boats on the little lake there in the middle of the park and get a Magnum. Still the only kind I have tried is Temptation Chocolate. I figured out what's in it! Pieces of dark and white Belgian chocolate and brownie. Aaaaah-mazing. Rowing boats was so fun too:) My back is killing me today and I rowed for maybe ten minutes. Who has two thumbs and is a whimp? This girl. Pretend I'm pointing at myself with my thumbs. For dinner a group of us went to a kebab place in Alcalá. Th Turks have invaded Europe with their kebab restaurants. I'm not complaining, it was sooooo yummy! I can't believe it's taken me so long to get to a kebab place, they're everywhere.

Oh! So for breakfast every day we eat toast and Colacao, right? Well. We started with peach jam. When that was gone, we had strawberry, then back to peach. One morning we were surprised with cream al cacao, a fantastic chocolate spread similar to Nutella without the hazelnut and not shiny. For awhile that was all we had. That with Colacao is a lot of chocolate for the morning, so I drank manzanilla (chamomille tea) for a few days or ate one of my two pieces of toast with olive oil and salt. Then the peach jam came back:) Chocolate spread still isn't gone. Let me tell you. Both of them together? HEAVEN. With the perfect balance, you can't exactly taste the peach, but the sweetness of the jam combines with the rich chocolate to temper it and make it just divine. The chocolate's almost gone though...sigh. Who knows what will be next? :) Also, have I mentioned how much I miss milk? This boxed milk thing is not workin for me. Also I still want a burger. Even McDonalds burgers aren't as good. Yes, I succumbed and ate at McDonalds. The first time was for a Toblerone McFlurry tho so I thought that was pretty valid. And delicious. Yum-my.

Probably I should pay attention in class a little more now. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment